GHK-Cu: The Copper Within
GHK-Cu, also known as Copper Tripeptide-1, is a naturally occurring copper complex of the tripeptide glycyl-L-histidyl-L-lysine1. This tripeptide has a strong affinity for copper (II) and was first isolated from human plasma1. It can also be found in saliva and urine1.
GHK-Cu is a peptide — a short chain of amino acids — that is made up of three amino acids: Glycine, Histidine, and Lysine. Together these three amino acids form GHK, or glycyl-l-histidyl-l-lysine2. GHK bonds easily to copper, thereby becoming GHK-Cu2. That is why it is also called copper peptide or copper tripeptide2.
Benefits of GHK-Cu
GHK-Cu has a variety of roles including:
- Promoting Activation of Wound Healing: GHK-Cu has been proven to heal wounds, cuts, and burns by inducing angiogenesis, which is the process of creating new blood vessels3. It has also been shown to have healing effects on joints and ligaments3.
- Attracting Immune Cells: GHK-Cu works to improve copper absorption, which is linked to angiogenesis, collagen formation (better hair, beard, skin, and nails), immunity, nervous system function, bone density, and much more3.
- Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Effects: GHK-Cu decreases inflammation significantly, both in the skin when applied via creams, and systematically throughout the entire body when injected subcutaneously3.
- Stimulating Collagen and Glycosaminoglycan Synthesis in Skin Fibroblasts: GHK-Cu stimulates collagen production, and helps in tightening the sagged skin, and gives you extremely regenerated skin4.
- Promoting Blood Vessel Growth: GHK-Cu is proposed to promote wound healing, attraction of immune cells, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, stimulation of collagen and glycosaminoglycan synthesis in skin fibroblasts and promotion of blood vessels growth1.
- Hair Growth: GHK-Cu has been studied for its effects on hair growth, and its effects were comparable to Minoxidil 5%3.
Safety and Side Effects
GHK-Cu is generally considered safe. However, it is always recommended to consult with your doctor or healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen5.
GHK-Cu is a powerful peptide with a wide range of benefits. From promoting wound healing to stimulating collagen production, GHK-Cu is a versatile supplement that can help improve overall well-being3467.